Filter by Category
Medical & Community Interpreter
Medical and Community Interpreter Training Fall 2021
with Jose Camache
Health Education Center’s Medical & Community Interpreter Training is International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA) approved.
Our full 60-hour course will be online-interactive beginning Saturday September 4th through November 13th, 2021, 9AM-3PM followed by a required practicum.
Our Medical & Community Interpreter Training establishes the foundation for all healthcare interpreters by providing specialized training in healthcare, education, and community service interpretation.
In addition to expertise in the code of ethics and the modes and techniques of community interpreting, an interpreter must understand cultural systematics that make communication skills pertinent in healthier & safer lifestyles. Specifically, for those of you in the healthcare system, we teach you to master the most common medical concepts, procedures and terminology.
The course entails 60-hours of highly interactive practice sessions and role-plays. Each course accommodates up to 15 participants and on average requires 8 hours of homework.
Some of the core components include:
- The profession of a Community and Medical Interpreting;
- Identifying the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice;
- Legal Foundations of Medical and Community Interpreters;
- Interpreting protocols and skills, strategic mediation, techniques, modes of interpreting, guiding the encounter;
- Medical Terminology for Interpreters and Anatomy & Physiology for Interpreters;
- Cultural Competency and communicating with respect to all cultures;
- Structure and principles of U.S. healthcare;
- Real time, real world interpreter training with qualified interpreters;
- Professional identity and Professional Practice;
- Improving Memory Skills Self-Care and Personal Wellness;
- Complete Practicum that allows for leadership and real-life experience;
- Writing skills & techniques;
- And now: Interpreting via telecommunication platforms.
For any questions, please contact Randi at email@example.com.