Online Medical & Community Interpreter Training
with Justyna Poznanski
ONLINE COURSE SCHEDULE: June 2 through August 6, Tues & Thurs, 4pm-7pm.
Health Education Center’s International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA) Approved Medical/Community Interpreter Training available online beginning June 2nd!
Type: The full 60-hour course will be online-interactive
Practicum portion: This is a mandatory 8-hour period where students with passing grades practice what was learned in a real-life setting under the guidance of a qualified or certified interpreter. Student and trainer will discuss how this works and schedule it within the first 3 weeks of class.
Our Medical & Community Interpreter Program establishes the foundation for all healthcare interpreters by providing specialized training in healthcare, education, and community service interpretation.
In addition to expertise in the code of ethics and the modes and techniques of community interpreting, an interpreter must understand cultural systematics that make communication skills pertinent in healthier & safer lifestyles. Specifically, for those of you in the healthcare system, we teach you to master the most common medical concepts, procedures and terminology.
The course entails 60-hours of highly interactive practice sessions and role-plays. Each course accommodates up to 15 participants and on average requires 8 hours of homework. Some of the core components include:
- The profession of a Community and Medical Interpreting
- Identifying the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
- Legal Foundations of Medical and Community Interpreters
- Interpreting protocols and skills, strategic mediation, techniques, modes of interpreting, guiding the encounter
- Medical Terminology for Interpreters and Anatomy & Physiology for Interpreters
- Cultural Competency and communicating with respect to all cultures
- Structure and principles of U.S. healthcare
- Real time, real world interpreter training with qualified interpreters
- Professional identity and Professional Practice
- Improving Memory Skills Self-Care and Personal Wellness
- Complete Practicum that allows for leadership and real-life experience
- Writing skills & techniques
- And now: Interpreting via telecommunication platforms
Jun 2 - Aug 6th, 2020
Tue and Thu for 10 weeks from 4:00 - 7:00 pm
For more info, call us at 8602086562