Capital Community College Medical & Community Interpreter Training
with Justyna Poznanski
LATEST COURSE DATE CHANGE: June 2 through August 6, Tues & Thurs, 4pm-7pm.
Health Education Center’s International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA) Approved Medical/Community Interpreter Training in Classroom Setting 2020!
Location: Capital Community College, Hartford, CT
Type: The full 60-hour course will be classroom-interactive
Practicum portion: This is a mandatory 8-hour period where students with passing grades practices what was learned in a real-life setting under the guidance of a qualified or certified interpreter. Student and trainer will schedule these within the first 3 weeks of class.
Our Medical & Community Interpreter Program establishes the foundation for all healthcare interpreters by providing specialized training in healthcare, education, and community service interpretation.
In addition to expertise in the code of ethics and the modes and techniques of community interpreting, an interpreter must understand cultural systematics that make communication skills pertinent in healthier & safer lifestyles. Specifically, for those of you in the healthcare system, we teach you to master the most common medical concepts, procedures and terminology.
The course entails 60-hours of highly interactive practice sessions and role-plays both online and in-class. Each course accommodates up to 15 participants and on average requires 8 hours of homework. Some of the core components include:
- The profession of a Community and Medical Interpreting
- Identifying the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
- Legal Foundations of Medical and Community Interpreters
- Interpreting protocols and skills, strategic mediation, techniques, modes of interpreting, guiding the encounter
- Medical Terminology for Interpreters and Anatomy & Physiology for Interpreters
- Cultural Competency and communicating with respect to all cultures
- Structure and principles of U.S. healthcare
- Real time, real world interpreter training with qualified interpreters
- Professional identity and Professional Practice
- Improving Memory Skills Self-Care and Personal Wellness
- Complete Practicum that allows for leadership and real-life experience
- Writing skills & techniques
Jun 2 - Aug 6th, 2020
Tue and Thu for 10 weeks from 4:00 - 7:00 pm
Capital Community College
Hartford, CT 06103